Apply Online: Part 1
If you’ve already begun an application, you may access My Saved Application.
We have a two-part application process. Part 1 consists of a data-entry component, a narrative and attachments.
After providing basic information about your organization, you’ll be asked to prepare a narrative describing your grant request. You’ll need to create your own document and submit that narrative as an attachment via our online application system.
In addition you’ll be asked to upload several other documents.
If the activity you describe fits one or more of our strategic priorities and our budget, we’ll request additional information. This will constitute Part 2 of the application process.
Once you start your application, you will have 120 days to complete it.
Information You’ll Need
When you’re ready to create an online application account, you’ll need your tax identification number.
In addition to basic information about your organization, you’ll be asked to prepare a narrative describing:
- Your community. Please include a profile of the population and a description of the community, its assets, anchor organizations and challenges.
- The comprehensive revitalization effort(s) under way in your community. Specifically describe the following: a.) The goals and strategies of the effort; b.) How it capitalizes on the community’s assets and addresses its challenges; c.) Who is leading or coordinating the effort; d.) What other investments (public and private) have been made to support the plan; e.) The process used to authentically engage the surrounding community and its residents in the revitalization strategy.
- Your request and how it contributes to this comprehensive revitalization effort. As part of your response, please state the type of grant you are requesting (general operating or project support).
We believe that a well-capitalized organization is in a better position to achieve its mission and goals.
Accordingly, the narrative should also explain your organization’s current levels of and approach to:
- Operating funds (i.e. ratio of earned and contributed to total budget)
- Working capital
- Operating reserves
- Building reserves
- And endowment, if appropriate
(For definitions, please see Kresge’s Capitalization Philosophy and Terms and Guide to Building Reserves. These reference materials are available in the Arts and Culture section of the library at kresge.org.)
You’ll also be asked to attach:
- An annual organizational operating budget - for the fiscal year that most closely corresponds with the requested grant period, reflecting confirmed and projected sources of revenue and intended expenses, listing each separately.
- Demographic data sheet – Download and save locally. Complete the entries on the locally saved document, and then upload the final version.
- Line-item project budget: a line-item project expense and revenue budget (if you are requesting project support) that corresponds with the activities described in the proposal narrative and matches the requested grant period.
- Timeline: for project completion, specifying activities during the grant period.
Attachments must be submitted as Adobe Acrobat PDFs, or in Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX), Microsoft Excel (XLS, XLSX) format. PDFs are preferred.
Other formats cannot be read by reviewers and cannot be accepted.
Applications can only be considered if completed in full.
Once you press the “submit” button, you will not be able to retrieve your application to make additional changes.
Our online system is compatible with Internet Explorer 8 and 9 and Mozilla Firefox 4.0. Other industry-standard browsers may perform satisfactorily, but have not been certified by the developer of the product we use. Your Web browser must allow cookies.
As part of this process, we’ll send you email to confirm receipt of your application, and a follow-up message confirming that your application is under review by a program officer.
If you use a spam filter, you could have trouble receiving these messages. They will come from the address firstname.lastname@example.org and/or the domain kresge.org.
Please contact us by email or at 248-643-9630.