Communications Summer Internship
The Kresge Foundation has an opening for an internship in its External Affairs and Communications department.
About the foundation
The Kresge Foundation is metro Detroit's largest private, national foundation, with more than $3.5 billion in its endowment, a growing staff of nearly 100 employees and a mission to expand opportunities in America's cities for people with low income. We do this through grantmaking and social investing in the areas of arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services, as well as community development in Detroit and across the United States.
The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters is located in metro Detroit. The modern facility is anchored by a 19th-century farmhouse and a new expansion that houses both a cafeteria and a convening center. Kresge also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
About the internship
The Kresge Foundation’s External Affairs and Communications department partners with the foundation’s executive, program and administrative staffs to share the story and impact of the foundation’s work. The department uses the full complement of communications tools and channels – media relations, digital and social media, email marketing, publications, speech writing and guidance on strategic communications initiatives – to advance the foundation’s mission of improving opportunity for low-income people in America’s cities.
The intern’s role will be designed to provide hands-on experience in external, internal and digital communications based on a combination of personal interests, learning objectives and the work available. The intern will report directly to the communications officer and include opportunities to interface with multiple Kresge teams and own significant projects.
The communications intern will play a role in articulating the department’s overarching strategy and goals, helping to advance the foundation’s communications objectives. Projects might include:
- Conducting an audience survey, audit and report, including recommendations for action, to gain a better understanding of current audience and opportunities across Kresge’s channels;
- Completing a landscape analysis of our peer foundations’ use of newer social media channels and practices;
- Producing high-quality content for website, social media and email newsletter and other communication channels;
- Assisting communications team with projects on an ad hoc basis (video shoots, press events, photo shoots, media pitching, etc.);
- Measuring communications impact and compiling reports.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- Undergraduate students majoring in communications, journalism, public relations, marketing or a similar field, who have completed their sophomore year, or students entering a graduate program
- Ability to multitask
- Strong writing and speaking skills
- Organizational skills are a must
What we offer our interns
- Housing stipend of $350 per month for out of state candidates
- Enrollment in “After 5 Detroit” activities
- Volunteer opportunity
- Team-building experience
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks daily for a minimal charge from our cafeteria
Please submit a cover letter and resume by January 23, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Kresge Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women and LGBT applicants.